Welcome to Wikipedia,
the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
6,343,121 articles in English
- The arts
- All portals
From today's featured article
Greta Thunberg, featured on the track
"The 1975" is a song by the band of the same name and the first track on Notes on a Conditional Form (2020), their fourth album. In the song, Greta Thunberg (pictured) calls for civil disobedience in response to climate change, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Each of their three previous albums began with a track titled "The 1975" that used the same lyrics, beginning "Go down / Soft sound", but the lead vocalist Matty Healy thought it was important to give a platform to Thunberg, the "voice of this generation". After the recording in Stockholm, they released the song earlier than intended—on 24 July 2019. Proceeds from the song were donated to the grassroots environmental movement Extinction Rebellion, at Thunberg's request. The band opened encores at their performances with the song, before the COVID-19 pandemic halted their touring. It was received positively by music critics, many of whom praised the album's transition from the end of "The 1975" into the punk rock song "People". (Full article...)
Did you know ...
J. S. Moll
In the news
On this day
July 24: Pioneer Day in Utah, United States (1847)
Khrushchev and Nixon debating
Today's featured picture
|John Adams Dix (July 24, 1798 – April 21, 1879) was Secretary of the Treasury, Governor of New York and a major general in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He was notable for arresting the pro-Southern Maryland General Assembly, preventing that divided border state from seceding, and for arranging a system for prisoner exchange via the Dix–Hill Cartel, concluded in partnership with Confederate Major General Daniel Harvey Hill. This line engraving of Dix was produced around 1902 by the Department of the Treasury's Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) as part of a BEP presentation album of the first 42 secretaries of the treasury.
Engraving credit: Bureau of Engraving and Printing; restored by Andrew Shiva
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump – For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
- Commons Free media repository
- MediaWiki Wiki software development
- Meta-Wiki Wikimedia project coordination
- Wikibooks Free textbooks and manuals
- Wikidata Free knowledge base
- Wikinews Free-content news
- Wikiquote Collection of quotations
- Wikisource Free-content library
- Wikispecies Directory of species
- Wikiversity Free learning tools
- Wikivoyage Free travel guide
- Wiktionary Dictionary and thesaurus
This Wikipedia is written in English. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
- 1,000,000+ articles
- Tiếng Việt
- 250,000+ articles
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Bahasa Melayu
- Norsk Bokmål
- 50,000+ articles
- Simple English
- Norsk nynorsk