Welcome to Wikipedia,
the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
6,288,274 articles in English
- The arts
- All portals
From today's featured article
Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor
The 1985 World Snooker Championship final was a snooker match played on the weekend of 27–28 April 1985 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England. It was the final of the 1985 World Snooker Championship between defending world champion Steve Davis and 1979 runner-up Dennis Taylor (both pictured). The best-of-35-frames match was split into four sessions; Taylor was never ahead during the match, but tied at 15–15 and 17–17. The deciding frame culminated with several shots on the final ball – the black – which Taylor potted to win his only world championship. The final climaxed in the early hours of 29 April and was viewed by 18.5 million people in the UK, as of 2020 the record for a post-midnight television audience. The total match time of 14 hours and 50 minutes is the longest recorded for a best-of-35-frames match. The match is one of the most famous snooker matches of all time and part of the reason for the surge in the sport's popularity in the 1980s and 1990s. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
Blickling Park mausoleum
In the news
On this day
April 27: Koningsdag in the Netherlands
Magellan's death at the Battle of Mactan
Today's featured picture
|Gioachino Rossini (1792–1868) was an Italian composer who gained fame for the 39 operas he composed. This caricature by Charles Motte, captioned La Soirée de Brigton [sic], shows King George IV of the United Kingdom (left) greeting the composer (right) at the Brighton Pavilion in 1823. Having grown used to adulation in the capitals of Europe, Rossini was by then unimpressed by royalty and the aristocracy.
Lithograph credit: Charles Motte; restored by Adam Cuerden
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy – For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump – For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
- Commons Free media repository
- MediaWiki Wiki software development
- Meta-Wiki Wikimedia project coordination
- Wikibooks Free textbooks and manuals
- Wikidata Free knowledge base
- Wikinews Free-content news
- Wikiquote Collection of quotations
- Wikisource Free-content library
- Wikispecies Directory of species
- Wikiversity Free learning tools
- Wikivoyage Free travel guide
- Wiktionary Dictionary and thesaurus
This Wikipedia is written in English. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
- 1,000,000+ articles
- Tiếng Việt
- 250,000+ articles
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Bahasa Melayu
- Norsk Bokmål
- 50,000+ articles
- Simple English
- Norsk nynorsk